Tuesday, November 23, 2004

feeling safe or safely being felt up?

Many Women Say Airport Pat-Downs Are a Humiliation
By JOE SHARKEY,
The New York Times

At a security checkpoint recently at the Fort Lauderdale airport, Patti LuPone, the singer and actress, recalled, she was instructed to remove articles of clothing. "I took off my belt; I took off my clogs; I took off my leather jacket," she said. "But when the screener said, 'Now take off your shirt,' I hesitated. I said, 'But I'll be exposed.' " When she persisted in her complaints, she said, she was barred from her flight.
-----
"Routinely, my breasts are being cupped, my behind is being felt," Ms. Chekowsky said. "And I feel I can't fight it. If I were to say anything, I picture myself being shipped off to Guantánamo."
-----
"There is this thing about putting your name out there," she said. "Am I going to end up on some kind of list?"
-----
She has also learned not to express her objections.
If you do, she said, "They really feel you up, and then check every section of your wallet and every item in your carry-on, including your makeup and toiletries; it's disgusting."


---
Doesn't this make you feel so much safer? Males can conduct these searches on women, also! Isn't it nice that people feel if they complain about personal violations they will, at minimum, be exposed to further humiliation, possibly be put on a list of troublemakers so that future flights will be disrupted (or worse) and even being sent off to a prison?!