Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Loyalty Oath

I knew that this oath was required before seeing Bush, but I had never heard exactly what it said before! From www.democrats.org

Republican National Committee Requires Voters To Sign Loyalty Oaths


The Republican National Committee required voters to sign endorsement forms before they attend campaign rallies featuring Vice President Cheney or President Bush.

When Vice President Dick Cheney spoke on July 31st to a crowd of 2,000 in Rio Rancho, NM, voters were required to sign such a form to receive a ticket to hear Cheney. "Whose vice president is he?" asked a 72-year-old John Wade. "I just wanted to hear what my vice president had to say, and they make me sign a loyalty oath."

The form's endorsement begins, "I, ___," requiring individuals to state their name, position, hometown and states, "do hereby endorse George W. Bush for re-election for President of the United States." A disclaimer box underneath the signature line states, "In signing the above endorsement you are consenting to use and release of your name by Bush-Cheney as an endorser of President Bush."

[Boston Globe, 8/9/04, Washington Post, 8/1/04]



I had no idea that they were asking you to consent to have your name used to endorse Bush! This is incredibly scary!