Tuesday, October 27, 2009

rebutting cheney

Hatch bucks Cheney: ‘I would never want to call my president dithering.’

Despite his own failures in Afghanistan (namely turning valuable resources away from the war and invading Iraq), former Vice President Dick Cheney attacked President Obama this week, saying he is “afraid to make a decision” on the war in Afghanistan and that he’s “dithering.” Today on CNN, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) disagreed with Cheney’s assessment. “Well, I would never want to call my president ‘dithering,’” Hatch said, adding, “And I know it’s a tough position that he’s in.” Later, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) was far more blunt in criticizing Cheney’s remarks:

BROWN: Look, to listen to Dick Cheney who was the mastermind of the most failed decade of foreign policy that this country has had, at least in my political lifetime, perhaps my whole lifetime, perhaps my parents’ lifetime too. I mean to listen to him when he talked about dithering when their mistake was to attack Iraq and lose sight of Afghanistan as President Abdullah, sorry as Dr. Abdullah, presidential candidate Abdullah said that eight years of failure of Karzai implicitly is also eight years of failure of dithering by that administration, so just take Dick Cheney’s advice off the table.

(Think Progress)
---
Boy, cheney sure had a different view of criticizing the president a year or so ago, didn't he?