Sunday, April 19, 2009

sounds like Meghan McCain wants republicans to become Democrats

Meghan McCain: ‘Most of the old school Republicans are scared shitless’ of the future.

In an address to the Log Cabin Republicans yesterday, Meghan McCain said that her recent public disagreements with conservative figures including Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham have reinforced her belief that most “old school Republicans” are “scared shitless” of the future. McCain said that the Republican party must challenge “the mold and the notions of what being a Republican means” by embracing what she called being a “progressive Republican“:

So tonight, I am proud to join you in challenging the mold and the notions of what being a Republican means. I am concerned about the environment. I love to wear black. I think government is best when it stays out of people’s lives and business as much as possible. I love punk rock. I believe in a strong national defense. I have a tattoo. I believe government should always be efficient and accountable. I have lots of gay friends. And yes, I am a Republican.

Despite the fact that the Log Cabin Republicans advocate on behalf of gay and lesbian interests in the Republican party, McCain only tangentially addressed her own views on gay rights. She expressed her hope that all people could live “in full equality with each other.”

(Think Progress)
---
Overall, this sounds like she is describing the Democratic platform. I wonder why she considers herself a republican, other than her father. None of the items that she listed describes any current republican and certainly not the current republican party.