Monday, January 28, 2008

Sicko DVD - Michael Moore


I realize that I am probably the last person to see this movie, but I just picked up the DVD and definitely recommend this whole-heartedly.

As usual with Moore, the movie is funny, sad, ironic, touching and more all at the same time.

The absurdity of one of the world's major powers not providing health care for its people is highlighted again and again and something that Americans take for granted - needing insurance to get any type of health care and still sometimes being denied - is shown to be positively insulting. As my wife said, "doesn't it make you feel foolish to live in America"?

Of course, I understand how it has come to this and that there are intense, major hurdles to jump before we could have anything close to the universal health care enjoyed by most of the civilized world, but it doesn't mean that it isn't something that we should strive for!

I also understand that Michael Moore movies are propaganda pieces, but they are also truthful and he shows the ridiculousness of our country.

Well worth seeing!