Sunday, December 17, 2006

i will be so glad when xmas is over!

The insane conservatives who have turned the holiday season into a political issue (completely fabricated, of course) have ruined this time of year for me. Just today, there are TWO "war on xmas" op-eds in the Sunday paper!

I used to love the season! I would watch every xmas show - i would be late to parties if one was on - and i would start shopping in early fall. I would participate in shows that would donate to Toys for Tots, i would bake xmas cookies, i would bring holiday dishes to xmas pot lucks, and etc etc....

Now i could almost care less. And all because some moron came up with the "war on xmas" catch phrase to boost his holiday ratings.

I always thought that the "Happy Holidays" greeting was the most appropriate one. Besides the fact that it is inclusive to other religions, it is also inclusive to all the secular and even christian holidays that fall at this time of year. Remember, the "holiday season" includes Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years, besides all of the pagan holidays that chrisitanity co-opted and all the other religious holidays. Why only wish someone a "merry xmas" when there is so much else that everyone celebrates at this time of year?

I am really trying to pull myself out of this because i want to celebrate with my wife and my family, but man, the wackos can really put a damper on holiday fun!