Thursday, May 18, 2006

WTF? (tax edition)

Hastert: ‘If You Earn $40,000 a Year and Have a Family of Two Children, You Don’t Pay Any Taxes’

During a late session last night, Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL)made a stunning claim on the House floor:

Well, folks, if you earn $40,000 a year and have a family of two children, you don’t pay any taxes. So you probably, if you don’t pay any taxes, you are not going to get a very big tax cut.
---
Hastert, who earns a hefty $212,010 a year salary, doesn’t seem to understand that families across America are facing higher health care costs, mortgage payments, and gas prices. And yes, they also have to pay their taxes.


---
I don't have kids and I (personally) actually make less than $40,000 a year, but I certainly pay plenty in taxes! And I can't even imagine trying to raise two kids on that amount - I literally don't know how it is possible. And yes, there are plenty of taxes that are not federal payroll taxes.